PLCs at Work
After reading the above article, please respond by commenting on strategies we are already implementing at our campus and/or areas of concern as our campus works towards becoming a Professional Learning Community.
All incoming freshmen were guaranteed.... There were several strategies in this paragraph that we are currently implementing. To me, this seemed like RtI for everyone so that if a student is struggling, we have many different options to intervene and help the student be successful. I believe we must make sure the students' freshman year is very positive and nurturing. I feel this sets the tone for the rest of their high school career.
As I read the article I couldn't help but be impressed by the DuFour's success. They really have done some good work and research. I see our school doing a bit of helping student achievement through enrichment and tutorials, but I think we can do better.
It seems like often the idea of a PLC is simply having a department meeting. These meetings are helpful, but they don't foster a true PLC. A professional learning community is where we all work together toward a common goal (like the three big ideas). Beyond the Dufour's model, PLC brings in the outside community as well. Combine that with action research leading toward better teaching. It requires a change from the status quo to a culture centered around academic success and an attitude that tells students they need to comply to a culture of academic success.
I think it would be nice to have a set time for tutoring by National Honor Society students or other knowledgeable students like we did last year. Also having a common time for planning and organizing projects would be great. How are we going to fit small group tutoring or one-on-one tutoring into our schedules? We are having trouble getting students who have been selected for the math academy before and after school to consistently attend. The students' mindsets need to be fixed so that they value education and want to succeed. Fixing their moral values would help as well. They do not consider copying or cheating on teacher tests as wrong. They believe that cheating on a state test is wrong, though.
“I wanted a process in place to support rigor for all kids, and to change the attitude of education from ‘You can succeed if you were born smart’ to ‘You can succeed if you work hard.’ I think I speak for most teachers, we agree with this statement. But our students don't think this way. They are growing up in a gimme culture. They want the grades but don't want to work for them. As a result most of us have watered down our curriculum. In order to bring more rigor, we have to change the mentality of the entire community and have the support of parents, administration and students.
TIME--our worst enemy as teachers. PLCs and any cross curricular planning would benefit students and teachers alike. It's just finding the time where you can meet, discuss, plan, encourage, elaborate and enhance your teaching and share what has worked for you and what hasn't. We must fit this into a small window and want big results...doesn't happen like that. We need to discuss ideas that will make students responsible for their actions. This is a hard one when most students call parents before the school has a chance to call the parent. We need to discuss ideas of making this "community" work together for the benefit of everyone, too many fall through the cracks. Then we get the "blame" for their actions or reactions or lack thereof once they are out of school.
I think the idea of PLC's are great. The problem that I see is getting the students motivated to get here. We have tried many different things over the years and the teachers/students start out with a lot of enthusiasm and then the idea plays out. We are living in a society that students feel they should be given everything and that they are entitled. We need changes. I am just not sure that this is the answer.
As a first year teacher, I have nothing to compare to but I feel like the time we have set aside for "study hall" is not properly utilized. I know that my first period class always tells me that they have no homework to work on and nothing to do. During enrichment is the time they should be getting help and using their time wisely. I do feel like upperclassman mentors would be a great way to help the younger students to succeed. Sometimes students can explain an idea in a way that another student can understand better than an adult.
All incoming freshmen were guaranteed....
ReplyDeleteThere were several strategies in this paragraph that we are currently implementing. To me, this seemed like RtI for everyone so that if a student is struggling, we have many different options to intervene and help the student be successful. I believe we must make sure the students' freshman year is very positive and nurturing. I feel this sets the tone for the rest of their high school career.
As I read the article I couldn't help but be impressed by the DuFour's success. They really have done some good work and research. I see our school doing a bit of helping student achievement through enrichment and tutorials, but I think we can do better.
ReplyDeleteIt seems like often the idea of a PLC is simply having a department meeting. These meetings are helpful, but they don't foster a true PLC. A professional learning community is where we all work together toward a common goal (like the three big ideas). Beyond the Dufour's model, PLC brings in the outside community as well. Combine that with action research leading toward better teaching. It requires a change from the status quo to a culture centered around academic success and an attitude that tells students they need to comply to a culture of academic success.
I think it would be nice to have a set time for tutoring by National Honor Society students or other knowledgeable students like we did last year. Also having a common time for planning and organizing projects would be great. How are we going to fit small group tutoring or one-on-one tutoring into our schedules? We are having trouble getting students who have been selected for the math academy before and after school to consistently attend. The students' mindsets need to be fixed so that they value education and want to succeed. Fixing their moral values would help as well. They do not consider copying or cheating on teacher tests as wrong. They believe that cheating on a state test is wrong, though.
ReplyDeleteI think that the PLC is a great idea. Finding enough staff and enough time to implement it correctly is the problem we seem to have here at VHS.
ReplyDelete“I wanted a process in place to support rigor for all kids, and to change the attitude of education from ‘You can succeed if you were born smart’ to ‘You can succeed if you work hard.’ I think I speak for most teachers, we agree with this statement. But our students don't think this way. They are growing up in a gimme culture. They want the grades but don't want to work for them. As a result most of us have watered down our curriculum. In order to bring more rigor, we have to change the mentality of the entire community and have the support of parents, administration and students.
ReplyDeleteTIME--our worst enemy as teachers. PLCs and any cross curricular planning would benefit students and teachers alike. It's just finding the time where you can meet, discuss, plan, encourage, elaborate and enhance your teaching and share what has worked for you and what hasn't. We must fit this into a small window and want big results...doesn't happen like that. We need to discuss ideas that will make students responsible for their actions. This is a hard one when most students call parents before the school has a chance to call the parent. We need to discuss ideas of making this "community" work together for the benefit of everyone, too many fall through the cracks. Then we get the "blame" for their actions or reactions or lack thereof once they are out of school.
ReplyDeleteI think the idea of PLC's are great. The problem that I see is getting the students motivated to get here. We have tried many different things over the years and the teachers/students start out with a lot of enthusiasm and then the idea plays out. We are living in a society that students feel they should be given everything and that they are entitled. We need changes. I am just not sure that this is the answer.
ReplyDeleteAs a first year teacher, I have nothing to compare to but I feel like the time we have set aside for "study hall" is not properly utilized. I know that my first period class always tells me that they have no homework to work on and nothing to do. During enrichment is the time they should be getting help and using their time wisely. I do feel like upperclassman mentors would be a great way to help the younger students to succeed. Sometimes students can explain an idea in a way that another student can understand better than an adult.
ReplyDelete